6 Nov 2009

Meta Blogging

About half a dozen people have come up to me around town saying they're really excited about what I'm doing here.  That's pretty cool.  I haven't really promoted this very much yet; I just left some rather plain messages on various social networking sites hoping to attract a curious few.  I wanted to get into the swing of it and have at least a half dozen posts before I started bothering folks about it.

Anyway, it made me curious to know how many people were reading this.  I imagine the vast majority of readers will view this through an aggregator (Google reader works for me).  Is there any way to track how many people read something via a feed without putting a separate tracker in each post?  I'm guessing there isn't.

Also, I'm unsure as to how much of the actual story I should put up here.  Bears looked very long as a blog post (it's about ten pages of a novel).  I don't mind sharing what I've done; even if I put the whole thing up here in sections and you read it here, the book would still be valuable because of the structural things I'm going to do to it.  The question is, as a reader, how much actual story would you expect to see here?

2 comments:

  1. There is a program called 'Google Analytics' (do a google search and it's the first thing that comes up) which allows you to see where your traffic is coming from. It's not massivly detailed and I'm sure there are other similar programs out there, but you can embed it within the blog so you don't have to attatch it to every page. I forget how exactly how to do it, but I'm sure you'd work it out.

    I do think you ought to cut down the stories as long pages of text can be quite daunting to read. Cut it into reasonable sized pages with a link to the next chapter at the bottom... There's my tupeneth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using a different tracker to Google Analytics, but perhaps that does what I want. I'll have a look. My problem is specifically with people reading via a feed.

    I think you're right about the stories. Here I can write about what I writing about, but I think it'd be a mistake to extensively post the thing itself.

    ReplyDelete