8 Nov 2009

Battle

I found a solution to the problem of describing the battle the Bear of the House or Cornus fights in.  I don't want to take a military history perspective; I could do that well with little effort but what would be the point, what would it mean?  I don't want to write some teenage gorefest under the banner of writing a gritty account of the realities of war, because that's trite and would, quite properly, turn my target audience off.  And I don't want to take some compromise route that glosses over the horror and significance of these terrible deeds.

What I've done is to focus on muscles.  I've written five hundred words describing muscles and other organs, and the emotions and meanings attached to them as they contract and expand and go about their muscley business.  I opened up half a dozen pictures of bulls pulled off google and went for it.

Afterwards the battle is over and they're taking prisoners.  I think it's quite effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment