21 Feb 2010

DIftW Progress

The main document file for Dangerous Ideas from the Wood is now at 35,000 words. I keep finding stuff that needs to be fixed and I'm really happy about that because it means it's improving. There's another 7.5k in the House of Cornus thread and another 7.5k or so that I can't fit in with the story in any meaningful way. I've got gaps and bridging bits and so on that will probably require another 5k words to be written. And then there's the ending. I've sketched it out but it really needs to be three or four times larger than it is. I imagine the final afternoon of the story will take up about 20k words once it's finished. I know what's going to happen but it's going to be very hard to control it all in a believable way. Along the way no doubt I'll spring a few more cunning ideas that will fit nicely into it.

I know It's pointless counting words but I need some way of marking my progress so there we go. Once I've done all the work I should end up with the first draft of something large enough to be considered a novel. That would be exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment